Get snow effect

Monday, June 03, 2013

Married in Putrajaya. Selamat berbahagia (wishing a happy marriage)

The Registrar of Marriage at Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara was packed with couples together with their entourages by the time my family walked into the waiting area at 9.30am. I estimated at least 200 people had already gathered in the reception hall.
 

Nicholas's family comprising Mr and Mrs Fan, Nicholas and May Fam, Nicholas's sister had arrived half hour before us. As for my family there were only three of us, myself, my wife and daughter Amy. Compared to others who were accompanied with big entourage of relatives and friends, including photographers our group of 7 was probably one of the smallest. 

May Fam clutching the DSLR camera was obviously assigned as the official photographer for the event.

12.00pm. Finally after enduring about 2-1/2 hours of waiting for our turn an officer finally ushered our two families into the marriage ceremony function room on the right side of the hall.

Once inside the we were amazed by the enormous size of the room. By my estimate the room measuring about 36 sq meters can easily accommodate not less than 30 people. I know because in one of the ceremonies before ours I counted at least 28 people entering and leaving the room. With three rows of chairs for the guests to witness the ceremony the room even has enough space for three different designs of backdrops for photography taking.

The solemnization ceremony which lasted only about 15 minutes was a simple affair with a smiling officer reading out the marriage citations in Bahasa Malaysia and witnessing the exchange of wedding rings. Both myself and Mr Fan sitting on opposite sides of a long table signed the papers as witnesses.

The next 15 minutes were spent taking photographs. Of all the shots the one I consider the most significant is the group photo taking at my request in front of a wall with the "Selamat Berbahagia" signboard mounted on it and the Coat of arms of Malaysia (Jata Negara) emblem standing sentinel above it.


After the marriage ceremony ended and in a quiet moment while driving to Puchong for lunch with the in-laws I reflected on my own marriage in Sep 19, 1979 in Kuala Lumpur. On reflection I thought how blessed Nicholas and Amy are in comparison to my marriage.

On that day only 4 people attended the marriage ceremony, me, my wife, my rent lord and the rent lady acting as witnesses. There was no fanfare, no photography session, both my parents and my wife's parents were not present and after the ceremony ended we went straight back to work. 

After so many years I have no memories of that day except for that "Selamat Berbahgia" signboard guarded by the Coat of arms of Malaysia emblem bearing silent witness to our happy and enduring marriage of 34 years. That is why I requested for a group photo to be taken in front of that "Selamat Berbahagia" signboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...