Get snow effect

Sunday, April 20, 2014

Replacing a broken window lock


Replaced a broken lock set for a top-hung aluminum glass window panel with a new unit that I bought from the local aluminum window and door vendor. Bought two pieces for RM4.00 a piece.

Never one to pass an opportunity to explore I took the opportunity to examine in detail how the fitting works by taking apart all the separate components and putting them back again before screwing the set down at its original location.

Using a standard size cross-head screw driver I was puzzled why despite using a lot of pressure and strength the screw driver kept on dislodging itself from the screw head when I turned the tool. When I examined the cross-head screws in detail I realised that I was using a wrong size screw driver for the work. After switching to a smaller cross-head screw driver was I able to secure the screw properly in position. It goes to show that you need the right tools in order to accomplish a given task with efficiency.

I found out that the screw at the back of the mounting unit controls the tension of the locking lever. If you want a tight fit of the lever turn the screw clockwise until it stops turning. If you prefer the lever to turn easily loosen the screw a bit by turning it anti-clockwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...