Get snow effect

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Hello Anjung Singgah here I come again



While helping to pack the vegetarian meals together with the other volunteers at the KSK kitchen a lady dressed in the NGO's trademark red T-shirt caught my attention as she stood beside the counter after coming down from the upstairs administration office.

I recognised her immediately, having worked with her only once on 9/9/2014.

On that day I went with her in the food delivery van to another food distribution center in downtown KL. This place called Anjung Singgah, is located along Jalan Hang Lekiu. Set up by National Welfare Foundation (YKN or Yayasan Kebajikan Malaysia) the center is a temporary lodging and intervention center for the homeless. Other than temporary lodging Anjung Singgah also provides free meals for the homeless.

My involvement with Anjung Singgah was more incidental rather than planned. That morning when I stepped into the kitchen I bumped into the Project Director who was desperately looking for hands to help out at Anjung Singgah because one of the regular volunteers there could not come. At his request I assured him that I had no objection going there at all. So together with a lady volunteer the driver packed us together with the food into the van for the ride to Anjung Singgah. I believe that on that day this particular lady volunteer who works in the admin section upstairs was also roped in to help out at the last minute.

If not for a memorable incident I would consider that day's work at Anjung Singgah as just another ordinary and mundane day for me.

On the way to our destination, somewhere along busy Jalan Raja Chulan as we waited for the traffic in front to move on we heard a loud bang coming from the back of the van. The driver of a 4-wheel car belonging to a government agency had crashed into the back of the van. All of us alighted from the van and it was the lady who took some shots of the dent in the van with her phone camera and noted down the particulars of the driver of the 4-wheel. Fortunately as everyone was driving slowly due to the traffic congestion the collision was minor, only a dent and a broken tail light.

"Hi Mimi!" I greeted the lady flashing a smile and a hand wave.

I knew she recognised me but had some problem registering where or when she had seen me before. Here in KSK volunteers of all sorts come and go and unless you interact with the individual for some time each volunteer is just a nameless face that you see from time to time.

"High Mimi do you remember the traffic accident on 9/9/2014?" I asked her. The question instantly rang a bell in her memory when before it was just a hazy recollection of some one that she had met in the past.

When she asked if I was available to help out again at Anjung Singgah on Tuesdays, I said sure I would come in on next Tuesday to give a helping hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...